MissionThe Bishop Paiute Tribe as was done in accordance with our traditions, honors and supports activities of our Elders, who are the wisdom keepers. The Bishop Tribe pursuant to resolutions supports the Bishop Tribal Elders Program.
- American Indian enrolled in a federally recognized tribe 55 years of age or older, or anyone married to an American Indian 55 years of age or older living on Bishop Paiute Reservation.
- Totally disabled or handicapped Indian person under the age of 55 living with an elder or in an elder’s house.
- Caregivers caring for homebound elders.
- Every elder participating with the Title VI Program is required to fill an intake form before receiving services.
NutritionThe Title VI Program, Part A provides free well balanced hot meals and supportive services to qualified American Indians, their spouses, volunteers, caregivers and homebound elders. Congregate meals are served at the Elders Building 350 North Barlow Lane.
Individuals under 55 not eligible under the program policies are considered guest. They are responsible for the cost ($6.00) per meal.
Caregiving Support ProgramA caregiver is anyone who provides assistance to another person so that person can maintain an independent lifestyle. Family members and other informal caregivers are the backbone long-term care system. Caregiving isn’t a job or a duty. It is doing what is right for a loved one. Caregiving is an unspoken promise that so many of us make in our relationships, to be there for our loved ones when they need us. Unfortunately, few people have the time, resources or ability to care for their aging or disabled loved one without any help. It is important as a caregiver to know your limits, take care of yourself, know your resources in the community, and understand the wants and needs of the person needing care.
Caregivers will be given information to assist in accessing services in the following areas:
- Educational Sessions with CHR’s and PHN’s
- Support Groups
- Respite Care
- Supplemental Services
- Supportive Services Include referrals to area agencies for needed assistance such as commodities, utilities assistance, social security issues, emergency response system and others. Our goal is to interact with and assist elders on a personal and daily basis or as needed.
Sharleen Talas, Manager
Vicki Arellano, Assistant Cook
June Piper, Pre/Van Driver
Phone (760) 873-3052
Fax (760) 873-9839